- On the 1st May, 1912, Organizers and Inspectors of Cadet Corps were appointed to each Division and District, except the 3rd Division, the appointment to this Division being filled on 1st March, 1913. Two officers were detailed to the 2nd Division; and an English speaking officer to the 4th and 5th Divisions, jointly, in addition to a French speaking officer in each of these Divisions. In December, 1912, a Director of Cadet Services on the Headquarters’ Staff, Ottawa, was appointed.
- As a result of the appointment of these officers the Cadet Services increased during the year by over 267 companies, or 11,050 cadets, and, in addition to these, 24 companies, comprising nearly 1,000 cadets, were disbanded, owing to their being inactive and dormant. This increase of 35%, or considerably over 1,000 cadets per month, since the appointment of the Organizers and Inspectors of Cadet Corps, indicates the result of their work.
- On the 1st January, 1913, a number of cadet companies were shown, which had really ceased to exist, and it was found necessary by the Organizers and Inspectors of Cadet Corps, in the first place, to re-organize the existing ones before starting to form new ones.
- The first cadet camps, under the auspices of the Militia Department, were held during July, 1912, and over 7,000 cadets were taken into camp. A considerable amount of useful knowledge was gained by the cadets, especially the older ones, at these camps, where they were taught rifle shooting, semaphore signalling, first aid to the injured, and the duties of camp life generally.
- In August, 1912, by invitation of the Toronto Exhibition Authorities, cadets from all parts of the British Empire were invited to compete at the Exhibition for various prizes. England, Scotland and Ireland, and the other self-governing Dominions, each sent 14 picked cadets to represent them at Toronto. In Canada. the cadets had to be selected from the best cadet corps in each Division or District, so that the Canadian Cadet Service was not represented as a whole, but the 14 best boys were picked from one cadet corps in each Division or District. The Province of Saskatchewan sent 16 mounted cadets, with their horses, to the Exhibition, who performed a musical ride, and did all their parade work on their horses.
- All the cadets at the Toronto Exhibition were inspected by His Royal Highness the Governor-General, on the 27th August, 1912.
- Some changes have been made in the Cadet Services. Owing to the confusion caused by cadet officers taking the same ranks as officers of the Militia, the ranks of cadet colonels, majors, captains, lieutenants, etc., have been abolished and cadet regimental commanders, battalion commanders, company leaders, and half-company leaders have been substituted. The badges of rank have also been changed to 4 transverse bars of braid worn on the shoulder straps for a regimental commander; 3 for a battalion commander; 2 for a company leader; and 1 for a half company leader.
- Increased support for the Cadet Services is being received from the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire, and also from other Women’s Societies.
- The Regulations have been re-written and will shortly be published.
- A pamphlet entitled, “The Cadet System in Schools,” signed by the leading clergymen of all denominations in Canada, has been published and widely distributed throughout the country with considerable success.
- A silver Challenge Cup, with silver miniature, to be competed for annually, was presented by His Honour the Lieutenant-Governor of Saskatchewan, for the best all-round Mounted Cadet in the Province of Saskatchewan. It was won in 1912 by Cadet Adjutant Andrew Patterson of the Grenfell Light Horse Mounted Cadet Regiment.
- During the year 1912, 544 male school teachers attended the Cadet Instructors’ Military Courses, which include Physical Training, at the Royal Schools of Instruction throughout the Dominion; of whom 507 were successful in obtaining the Grade “A” Military Certificate.
- A special course of Physical Training of two months’ duration was begun at Toronto on 5th March, last, to qualify Instructors for the Physical Training Cadre (non-permanent) in order to increase the number of qualified Instructors available for instructing at Normal School centres.
- The same certificate was issued to these Instructors as to the Physical Training Cadre (permanent), and the work done was excellent. Physical Training Directors being sent in from all parts of the Dominion, in order to standardize the work with that of the Strathcona Trust.
- Forty male and 21 female Instructors obtained certificates for this special course—Physical Training Cadre.
- Two thousand nine hundred and thirteen School Teachers, male and female, obtained Physical Training; Certificates, Grades “B” and “C,” between 1st July, 1911, and 30th June, 1912.
- Fallowing are statements showing the strength of the Cadet Services on December 31, 1911, and on March 1, 1913; the strength by Divisions and Districts, and, also, by Provinces, on March 31.st, 1912, and March 31, 1913; also the numbers who attended summer camps during 1912:—
STRENGTH OF CADET CORPS.
- The strength of Cadet Corps, December 31, 1911, was:—1913 Companies…. 492. Cadets, 19,250. Of these a large number were then dormant and had to be re-organized during the first six months of 1912.
- Before the end of the school year, 30th June, 1912:—Four hundred and twenty-eight companies, comprising 17,500 cadets, were inspected separately and satisfactorily reported on.
- The strength of the Cadet Service on 1st March, 1913, was:—
- Increase….. 267……… 11,050
Increase since 31st December, 1911, 267 companies, comprising 11,050 cadets. During the same period 24 companies, comprising about 1,000 cadets, were disbanded owing to their becoming non-effective.
- The amount expended was $93,723.17, which was an increase of $57,776.49 over the expenditure for the previous year 1911-12. As pointed out in last year’s report, the vote for 1911-12 was not fully expended owing to money not being available when it was most needed.
- The increased expenditure for the year ended 31st. March, 1913, is due to the following:—
Appointment of a Director of Cadet Services at Headquarters, and Organizers and Inspectors of Cadet Corps in the Divisions and Districts. The latter were appointed from 1st. May 1912, and account for an expenditure of 823,332.67 for pay and travelling expenses. Details are as follows:—
- Pay and travelling expenses Director of Cadet Services, and Organizers and Inspectors of Cadet Corps……….. $23,332.67
- Pay and travelling expenses of School Teachers, &c. qualifying…..39,515.29
- Travelling expenses of Instructors………5,925.71
- Drill Allowance to Cadet Instructors, School Teachers, &c…….10,047.90
- Caps, Badges and Belts, &c………….8,785.00
- Railway Transport……………………4,355. 66
- Grant to Cadets visiting Australia……..817. 90
- Sundry expenses…………………………943.04
- Grand Total……………………… $93,723.17
- In addition to the above, over 7000 cadets attended camp for 6 days in the summer of 1012 at a total cost of $74,112.00, but the whole of this expenditure was provided for out of the Annual Drill Vote; for 1913-14 provision has been made to pay this from Cadet Corps Vote.
- Full particulars of the work carried out in connection with Cadet Corps, and qualification of School Teachers will be found elsewhere in this report, under “Cadet Services”.
- Details of the expenditure by Divisions and Districts are given in Appendix “A.”
- E. F. JARVIS, Secretary, the Militia Council.