J.A.D. McCurdy Aviation Exploits Post Canadian Aerodrome Co., July – Dec., 1910.

Flight Magazine No. 79. (No.27. Vol. II.) July 2nd 1910. — Flying in Canada. — ON Saturday last the first aviation meeting to be held in Canada commenced at Montreal. The most successful flights were made by M. Jacques de Lesseps, who recently flew across the Channel, on a Bleriot, and Mr. Walter Brookins, on his Wright. Mr. A. McCurdy on the Baddeck biplane and Milgeon on a Bleriot also were out, but met with mishaps.

Flight Magazine No. 80. (No. 28, Vol. II.) July 9, 1910. — Flying Over Montreal:— M. JACQUES DE LESSEPS, who has been making some splendid flights at the flying meeting at Montreal last week, on Monday left the flying ground on his Bleriot, and during a 49-minute trip circled over the city for some time. During the time he was aloft, mostly at a height of 2,000 ft., he covered about thirty miles. On Thursday of last week, Brookins on the Wright machine took De Lesseps as a passenger, and carried him to a height of 1,000 ft. Mr. McCurdy, while flying on his biplane, Baddeck II, fell from a height of 50 ft. and was slightly injured.

Bomb Throwing by Curtiss. — EXPERIMENTS in dropping dummy bombs on t o imaginary warships were carried out by Mr. Glenn Curtiss on the 1st inst. before Rear-Admiral Kimball, U.S. Navy, and other Naval and Military officers. The shape of a battleship was marked out by means of flags on Lake Kimka, and out of twenty missiles dropped by Curtiss from his aeroplane eighteen of them are said to have effectually hit the mark.

Eugene B. Ely, Seated in a Glenn Curtiss 50hp Pushes Aeroplane Shortly After its takeoff from USS Birmingham Scout Cruiser No. 2, in Hampton Roads, Virginia, afternoon November 14, 1910.

Eugene B. Ely, Seated in a Glenn Curtiss 50hp Pushes Aeroplane Shortly After its takeoff from USS Birmingham Scout Cruiser No. 2, in Hampton Roads, Virginia, afternoon November 14, 1910.

Aeronautics: The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. VII. No. 2, August, 1910. — Montreal, June 28-July 5. BY H. K. HITCHCOCK. — The “meet” was from one viewpoint, the scientific, eminently successful, and as a direct result an impetus to the interest in and study of aeronautics has been started in this great country. Financially the meet was a failure, the expenses running to some, $40,000., but the flying was good—continuous every day of the meeting, all done by the Wright and Bleriot machines. J.A.D. McCurdy only got up once in the early morning and quite wrecked their Baddeck II in landing with the wind. McCurdy was unfortunate the whole week. He had trouble getting his machine on the grounds to begin with, and assembling was delayed by reason of no shelter. G.G. Hubbard, of Boston, was induced to come at a late date with his monoplane, built by the Canadian Aerodrome Co. of Baddeck, without an engine, which had to be sent for to Baddeck and it did not arrive until the last of the week……….Early in the morning McCurdy made a flight in the “Baddeck II.” but, landing outside the grounds in the tall grass, the machine was partially wrecked.

The Wright Suits. — New York. July 1. The U. S. Circuit Court of Appeals yesterday denied the motion on behalf of the Wright Company asking that the Curtiss concern put up a bond to protect the petitioner from loss in the event of winning the patent suit. The petition sets forth the loss being done the Wright Company by the flights of Curtiss and Hamilton and others using Curtiss machines. In the last issue the dissolution of the injunction against Paulhan and Curtiss was announced. The suit against Saulnier has been dropped as he left the country. Pressure of work that has seemed more important has prevented suits being brought against Harmon and other alleged infringers but the matter is not being held open awaiting final decision on the original suits. The Wright Company in the near future will proceed against every infringer who is injuring its business. The Wright Co. has filed a demurrer to the action brought by Charles Lamson alleging infringement, stating that the bill of complaint does not show whether the infringement was committed by the defendants jointly or severally, and that it does not aver execution of the letters patent according to law.

WRIGHTS MADE DOCTORS OF LAW. — Oberlin College has conferred upon Orville and Wilbur Wright the degree of Doctor of Laws.

Glenn H. Curtiss Aeroplane Blueprint Aeronautics, Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. 7 No. 3. Sept., 1910.

Glenn H. Curtiss Aeroplane Blueprint Aeronautics, Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. 7 No. 3. Sept., 1910.

Aeronautics: The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. 7 No. 3. Sept., 1910:— Omaha, July 23-27, By T. T. Tuttle. — The Omaha (Neb.) meeting, on July 23 to 27, was held under the auspices of the Aero Club of Nebraska, and was particularly interesting owing to the fact that every type of craft that navigates or sails the air participated. There were two hot-air balloons, a captive, a free balloon, a dirigible balloon and three Curtiss aeroplanes in the air each day. The chief attractions, however, were aviators Glenn H. Curtiss, T. C. Mars. J.A.D. McCurdy and Eugene B. Ely. The weather made it a difficult task for the aviators to open the first day with their best work. Weather conditions on the second day were about the same as the day before, but in spite of this handicap all aviators made flights. The program closing with a spectacular race between Curtiss and Mars. In the evening the J.S. Dirigible No. 1 left Fort Omaha with Lieut., Maskell in charge and could be plainly seen from the aviation field.

Lexington, Ky.J.A.D. McCurdy filled the Curtiss date at the Lexington, Ky., State Fair, Aug. 7-13, making several flights each day of the exhibition.

New York, Aug. 19-21. — Glenn H. Curtiss, J. C. Mars, J.A.D. McCurdy, C. F. Willard and Eugene Ely are scheduled to give a 3-day exhibition at the Sheepshead Bay racetrack, New York. Aug. 19-21. Eugene B. Ely, a Curtiss aviator, began practicing at Sheepshead Bay racetrack in preparation for the exhibition on the 10th, using for the first time the 8 cylinder Curtiss engine which is slowly being installed in all the exhibition machines. J. A. Douglas McCurdy, former member of the Aerial Experiment Association, who with F. W. Baldwin, another member, formed the Canadian Aerodrome Co. at Baddeck, Nova Scotia, has signed a contract with Glenn Curtiss to fly a Curtiss machine. His first appearance was at Omaha, July 23-28. From there he went to Lexington, Ky., Aug. 7-13. Eugene Ely of Portland, Ore., who has been flying a Curtiss machine for E.

Henry Wemme, Curtiss agent of that city, is another addition to the Curtiss troupe of aviators. Augustus Post, former secretary of the Aero Club of America, has bought a Curtiss machine under a special arrangement, and will fill exhibition contracts wherever they do not conflict with Curtiss’ interests, or will fill engagements obtained by Curtiss. He will begin practicing under the tutorship of Charles V. Willard, using a machine which Willard has been putting in shape in the Aeronautical Society’s shed at Mineola. Clifford B. Harmon has ordered a fast machine from Glenn Curtiss, in which it is expected he will install his Gnome engine for trial.

Aero Calendar for the United States.

  • Aug. 19-21—Sheepshead Bay, N. Y., Curtiss exhibition, with G. H. Curtiss, Willard, Mars, Ely, McCurdy, Post and Baldwin.
  • Aug. 26—Curtiss to fly from Cleveland to Cedar Point and return, over Lake Erie, about 60 miles each way.
  • Sept. 12—Syracuse, N. Y., State Fair. J.A.D. McCurdy (Curtiss).
  • Sept. 21—Olean, N. Y., State Fair, flights by McCurdy (Curtiss).
Glenn H. Curtiss, Seven Famous Airmen, The Milwaukee Sentinel, Oct., 26th 1910.

Glenn H. Curtiss, Seven Famous Airmen, The Milwaukee Sentinel, Oct., 26th 1910.

Aeronautics: The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. VII No. 4., October 1910. — Sheepshead Bay Meet, by Frank Tillman. — New Yorkers were given their first real aviation meet the last two weeks in August, at the old Sheepshead Bay race track by Glenn H. Curtiss and his flock of birdmen, composed of J.C. (“Bud”) Mars, Chas. F. Willard, Eugene B. Ely. J.A.D. McCurdy and Augustus Post. Several experiments that proved the aeroplanes value in a new sphere were successfully accomplished during the six days the birdmen were flying at the field. The greatest of these was the wireless telegraph message sent from an aeroplane in flight by J.A.D. McCurdy to H.M. Horton, the designer and operator of a practical wireless outfit especially adapted for sending messages from an aeroplane in flight to a ground station.

Next in importance, from a scientific standpoint, was the test for marksmanship with a regulation U.S. Army Springfield rifle, by Lieut. Jacob Earl Fickle, 29th Infantry, who fired and hit a target placed on the ground while aloft a hundred feet with Glenn H. Curtiss. The meet opened on Friday, August 19, and was originally intended to last but Saturday, August 20 and Sunday, August 21. Due to the success of the first three “days the meet was extended and lasted three additional days of Friday, August 26th and 27th, closing on Sunday, August 28th. The opening day was featured by the number of passengers carried by Curtiss and Mars. A representative of every New York daily newspaper was given a ride either by Curtiss in his Hudson Flyer or by Mars. It was on one of three trips when he had Frank D. Caruthers, a well-known New York newspaper man, as passenger, that aviator and passenger all but came to a disastrous finish. Mr. Caruthers has the distinction of being the heaviest man ever carried as a passenger in a Curtiss aeroplane, his weight being over 195 pounds. It was this fact, however, that nearly resulted in an accident. As in all his passenger flights Mars started at the upper end of the field and after a short run flew gracefully to the lower end. Instead of stop-ping there with Mr. Caruthers, Mars determined to make a turn and land his passenger at the starting point.

Half way around an extra stiff puff of wind caught the heavily-weighted aeroplane and in an instant the machine was thrown almost on its side. For fully a minute there followed a pretty bit of air jockeying. It required all of the skill of Mars to regain control of his pitching, tossing, tumbling machine. Experienced aviators on the ground held their breath at the sight and when Mars finally succeeded in weathering the storm and brought his machine safely to the ground he was greeted with a round of applause. The flight, which was Mr. Caruthers’ first trip in an aeroplane, had not impressed the passenger as it did Mars. Caruthers, when he finally climbed out of his seat to the ground, confessed that he had failed to realize the danger he was in while Mars was having his struggle in the air. The real danger to Mr. Caruthers appeared to be at the moment of landing when the aeroplane hounded over the ground. In addition Mars took his wife, Mrs. Ely, wife of Aviator Ely: Joseph Pulitzer, .Jr., of the New York World, and Capt. H. Kerrick of the U. S. Army, and others, for a short joy ride through space. Willard also took up passengers. On Friday, the 19th, four machines were in the air over the same field, and all flying in the same direction.

J.A.D. McCurdy's New Biplane Flying at Toronto Aviation Meet, Donlands Farm, Near Todmorden Mills, August 3-5, 1911.

J.A.D. McCurdy’s New Biplane Flying at Toronto Aviation Meet, Donlands Farm, Near Todmorden Mills, August 3-5, 1911.

On August 20. Lieut. Fickle, in service uniform with a full round of ball ammunition, first made a trial flight with Mr. Curtiss to determine if the vibration of the aeroplane would destroy his aim with a rifle. Finding that it would not, he placed a target in the center of the field of about three by five feet in size. Then as a passenger with Mr. Curtiss he soared about 100 feet and fired downward while directly, over his target and struck near the edge of the mark. Notable was the sending of a wireless telegram by McCurdy on August 27th, from his aeroplane while high over Sheepshead Bay, to II. M. Horton on top of the grandstand at the track. The message was received by Horton on the top of the grandstand and handed to the group of newspaper reporters. In order to develop the aeroplane wireless Mr. McCurdy and Mr. Horton since the meet have been at the Curtiss factory, at Hammondsport. N. Y., where they have been making daily trials with the wireless apparatus, which has resulted in unusual results, messages having been sent as far as five miles to the stationary set from the aeroplane in flight. When the final tests had been made and Mr. McCurdy was ready to make a flight and try out the instruments he was given what was destined to be the first wireless message ever sent from an aeroplane. It had been written by Mr. Caruthers at the request of Mr. Curtiss a week before. Mr. Caruthers has carefully preserved the original of the message which he prizes as one of his most valuable possessions.

The flights on August 26th were featured by the narrow escape and sensational flight made by Augustus Post, the amateur aviator, in a Curtiss biplane when he hurdled two fences and made two complete short circles at the end of the field when he avoided a fence after a beautiful flight across the race track. Post had never been up very high before, nor had ever made a complete turn. He is the latest Curtiss pupil. Eugene P]ly, Mars and McCurdy broke honors even, on Saturday, the 27th, Ely by flying the longest and the highest of any aviator during the entire meet and winning the trophy given by the Manhattan Beach Hotel for being the only aviator to fly over the bay to the hotel and alight on the beach, go in for his dinner and return to the field late in the evening. Company: — A receiving apparatus was placed at the top of the grandstand at the track and a sending apparatus was secured in the machine and placed just behind the seat. It weighed about 25 pounds. The sending of the message was done by J.A.D. McCurdy while in flight in his four-cylinder Curtiss machine. Mr. McCurdy was a wireless expert himself and will be remembered as one of the members of the Aerial Experiment Association.

BY J.A.D. McCURDY: — “The telegraphic key was fastened to my steering wheel and was easily operated. For a ground wire from the machine, we used a wire about 50 ft. long, which, after I got well into the air, was thrown overboard and allowed to dangle behind the machine, with the one end fastened to the apparatus. The antenna consisted of the guy wiring of the machine so that the whole system was very simple. I made certain definite signals (certain letters) which were easily picked up by Mr. Horton from his position on the grandstand. I flew away for a distance of about two miles and circled at an elevation of about 700 ft. and within this distance the instrument worked extremely well. So far as I know, this is the first time that such an experiment has been performed and now that it has been already done, it will probably be tried extensively by Governments abroad. Mr. Horton came up to Hammondsport from New York and he and I have been trying the wireless from the aeroplane here ever since, and have made very satisfactory tests.”

J.A.D. McCurdy's Biplane 7-Cylinder Gnome Rotary Engine at Donlands Farm, Near Todmorden Mills, August 3-5, 1911

J.A.D. McCurdy’s Biplane 7-Cylinder Gnome Rotary Engine at Donlands Farm, Near Todmorden Mills, August 3-5, 1911

Prof. Alec G. Bell & F.W. Baldwin on Their World Tour.—The Hawaiian Gazette from Honolulu, Hawaii Tuesday, May 31, 1910: Page 2. TUESDAY MAY 31 1010, SEMI WEEKLY. AIRSHIP PIONEER HERE TESTS. First Man Who Ever Made a Public Flight in Heavier Than Air Machine From Saturdays Advertiser. —  The man who made the first public flight in an aeroplane on the American continent passed through not over Honolulu last night. He is F.W. Baldwin an aviator of international renown who made a flight in the once well known Red Wing. Mr Baldwin is associated with Dr Alexander Graham Bell inventor of telephone and a scientific demonstrator of man flying who was also a passenger on the same vessel the Makura, both being en route around the world. Air Baldwin is a young man who several years ago was one of the aviators who formed the Aerial Experiment Association consisting of Dr Alexander Graham Bell Douglas McCurdy, Glenn Curtiss, Lieutenant Selfridge U.S.A., deceased and F.W. Baldwin. The association was formed simply for experiment purposes to get into the air no matter how they got there. The association built many aerodromes at Hammondsport New York five being constructed while the experiments were being conducted. Mr Baldwin, Lieutenant Selfridge and Glenn Curtiss achieved national renown by their spectacular flights. According to Doctor Bell Mr. Baldwin was the first man in America to make a public flight in a machine. It is true that before this the Wright brothers had made flights but these had been made in secret. The first aeroplane or as Doctor Bell calls it aerodrome was the Red Wing and the first flight in this was in February 1908. The second machine was called the White Wing and the third one was the famous Juno Bug with which Glenn Curtiss won the Scientific American trophy. After the Juno Bug came the Silver Dart flown by McCurdy. This was later taken to Baddeck Nova Scotia Doctor Bells home. There the machine was tried out on the ice and it was found to be quite successful for experiments Doctor Bell states that very good flights over the ice were made in 1009. The Aerial Experiment Association dissolved a year or so ago and the members went into the commercial business of aeroplaning. Baldwin and McCurdy formed a partnership under the name of the Canadian Aerodrome Company and the Canadian government purchased one or their machines just before Mr Baldwin left on his present tour. Many people in Montreal who have been interested in racing. From Saturday Advertiser Dr. Alexander Graham Bell inventor of the telephone a regent of the Smithsonian Institution and one of the keenest scientists in aviation arrived in Honolulu yesterday on the S.S. Makura accompanied by his wife and by F.W. Baldwin the aviator and the aviators wife. They left on the boat at midnight en tour of the world. When told that his arrival was announced a few night since by wireless the doctor said that wireless was really a wonderful invention. But after all said the doctor they use a phone with their wireless and he laughed genially.

Prof. Alec G. Bell & F.W. Baldwin in Australia: — Australian Press The Mercury:— Hobart Thursday, August 25, 1910. — PERSONAL:— Accompanying Dr. Graham. Bell and Mrs. Bell on their Australasian tour is Mr. Baldwin and his wife. Mr, Baldwin is a Canadian, who is-keenly interested in aviation, and is partner with Mr. D. McCurdy in a big concern known as the Canadian Aerodrome Co. Dr Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, who is on a brief visit to Tasunania lunched at Government House with His’ Excellency yesterday in company with Mr. Baldwin. In the afternoon, they were the guests of the Premier (Sir Elliott Lewis) at afternoon tea at Parliament House. To-day Dr. Bell’s party will see some of the country round Hobart’ a motor-car, placed at their disposable by Sir. Elliott Lewis. In the afternoon, Dr. Bell will visit the Deaf Dumb Institution. Institution of this’ kind are of especial interest to Dr. Bell who was a teacher of the deaf be his invention of the telephone made him famous.

Timaru Herald, Volume XIIIC, Issue 14300, 17 September 1910, Page 5. PERSONAL ITEMS:— On Thursday Mr Robt. Bell returned to Ashburton after a three months’ tour of the North Islam! Mr and Mrs. C. Hall and Miss Spring loft Timaru on Thursday on a holiday trip to Australia. Mr. W. A. Pearson, after a three weeks’ torn- of the North Island, returned to Timaru yesterday. Mr D. J. Corcoran, of Oamaru, secretary of the New Zealand Athletic Union, was in Timaru yesterday. Lieutenant Wilfrid M. Bruce, R.N. R. and Mr Cecil H. Meaxes, members of the Terra Nova expedition, have arrived in Christchureh. Mr and Mrs S. G. Raymond are expected to return to Timaru from their Home and Continental tour in November. Hon. G. Fowlds leaves Wellington for South Africa (via Auckland) to-day. He will be accompanied by the Misses-Kuivlds and his private secretary, Mr W. Crow. The Hon. Dr Findlay will accompany Mr. Fowlds to Auckland, and on his way back will call at the To k a aim prison farm. On the eve of his departure for England via Australia, Mr L. Rose Jaggar, hit general manager of tin- Atlas Assurance; Coy., who has completed his engagement with the company, was presented at Wellington with a silver tea and coffee service and silver salver, by the attorneys of the Company throughout the Dominion. The Fire Underwriters of Wellington also entertained Mr. Jaggar and made him a presentation of a gold sovereign case. Mr. and Mrs. Jaggar and Jannly left for Sydney by the Manuka yesterday. Mr Baldwin, who is n. vice-president of the Canadian Aero Club, and partner of Mr J. A. D. M’Curdy in an aeroplane manufacturing company at Baddeck, Nova Scotia, is at present on a visit to Auckland. He is one of the tour young men who were associated with Dr Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, in the formation of the Aero Experimenting Association in 1904. Since then he has become famous as a flying man, and his name is quite familiar to newspaper readers, having been mentioned in cable messages time after time…….. Sir J. G. Ward, who presided, proposed Mr -Bowld’s health, asked him to convey to the people of South Africa the good wishes of the people of New Zealand, and express the hope that they will steer clear of all troubles in future. Mr Massey added a few congratulatory remarks in a similar strain. Mr Fowkls in responding said it would be a great pleasure to him to convey to the people of South Africa, Dutch as well as British the greetings of the people of New Zealand. http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=THD19100917.2.20

J.A.D. McCurdy In F. Thompson Traveling Aero Circus, New York Times, Nov., 4th 1910.

The Sydney Morning Herald Monday 21, Nov., 1910 p.8. PERSONAL.— Before leaving Newcastle on Saturday last his Excellency Lord Chelmsford expressed his thanks to the Mayor Aldermnn J.C. Reid for the excellent program which lind be arranged to lunke his and Lady Chelmsford stay in Newcastle such a pleasant one. The Mayoress Mrs Reid presented Lady Chelms ford with n handsome album of Newcastle views on behalf of the ladies of Newcastle Dr Alexander Graham Bell the inventor of the telephone. Is at present visiting, Hong Kong He intends to tall at various Eastern centres and will return home either via Siberia, or through India. On Wednesday not the Victorian Ministry will entertain at a valedictory luncheon Mr Thos Tait chairman of the Railway Commissioners who severs his connection with the department on December. X. Mr J W Richardson Sydney who has spent five months in the Northern Territory Is a pas Benger on the Guthrie Ho travelled 1300 miles. In the Territory and Ins come to the conclusion it is u wonderful country and is better watered than any other part of Australia. Al though it was supposed to be a dry season when ho was there ho said the grass was from 12 inches to 18 inches in height and beautifully green Buffaloes appeared to be dying Outm Esper Nassoor Bey Consul for the Ottoman Empire is about to visit Adelaide to take part in a fete to be given it the Town Hall on Saturday next by the Ottoman residents During his…..http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15198836

J.A.D. McCurdy's New Biplane Assembled by Staff at Toronto Aviation Meet, Donlands Farm, Near Todmorden Mills, August 3-5, 1911.

J.A.D. McCurdy’s New Biplane Assembled by Staff at Toronto Aviation Meet, Donlands Farm, Near Todmorden Mills, August 3-5, 1911.

North American Press Despatch (By the Associate Press) 1910:— HIGH WIND — Makes Trouble at Belmont Park.— Belmont Park, N.Y., Oct., 26.— Brisk wind blowing this morning presaged difficulties for the aviators in the beginning of the important tests scheduled  for this, the fifth day of the international aviation meet, and threatened to keep the machines of two aviators out of the day’s competitions altogether. The pair of airmen in difficulties were J. Armstrong Drexel and J.D. McCurdy, who got lost in the gathering darkness outside the course while competing in the cross-country flight late yesterday afternoon, and were forced to land in distant fields — Drexel at Rockville Centre, and McCurdy at Lynnbrook, each approximately eight miles away from the aviation course. The straying experts expected to take the air and fly their machines back to the park when daylight broke, but up to the time when preparations for day’s flight has been gotten under full headway about the hangers nothing had been heard from either of the aviators. The chances seemed to be that they would not be able to get back at all today, as the wind was blowing at the rate of 20 miles an hour an increasing.

Boston Evening Transcript Nov. 3, 1910. — TO LAUNCH PLANE FROM SHIP — Interesting Experiment to Be Tried on Saturday by McCurdy in a Curtiss Biplane — First Aeroplane Mail. — Washington, Nov. 3:— Official sanction was given today by the Government for the transmission of Unite State mails by aeroplane for the first time in history. Permission was granted by Postmaster General Hitchcock, for J.A.D. McCurdy to carry the United States mails in this manner from the out-going transatlantic liner Kaiserin Auguste Victoria to New York next Saturday, when that vessel is fifty miles at sea. The mail pouch which McCurdy will carry from the liner to the New York Post Office will contain letters from passengers of the steamship for transmission to various parts of the world. The only condition imposed by the postmaster general on this first sanctioned transmission by aeroplane of the United Sates mails is to be carried by aeroplane. In imposing this condition the Government is relieved of all responsibility in case the letters are lost while in transit from the steamship to the New York Post Office.

J.A.D. McCurdy Flight From Ocean Liner to Shore, American Press Despatch, Nov., 8 1910.

J.A.D. McCurdy Flight From Ocean Liner to Shore, American Press Despatch, Nov., 8 1910.

Boston Evening Transcript 1910. — New York, Nov. 3:— It is announced that J.A.D. McCurdy, of Glenn H. Curtiss’s staff, will try to fly by aeroplane from a deck of a vessel fifty miles at sea to a point on Manhattan Island on Saturday, Nov. 5. The Kaiserin Agusto Victoria of the Hamburg-American line, sailed at 10 A.M. that day will carry McCurdy and his Curtiss bi-plane. The test, the first of its kin, will be observed by a party of naval and army officers. A flotilla of torpedo boats will be patrol the course, and the aeroplane will be launched from a platform of 100 feet in length, built on the forward deck of the ship. This incline will have a drop of 10 percent, the outer end being sixty feet above water. The Launching device will be built under the personal direction of Mr. Curtiss, who is confident of the success of the experiment. In launching the aeroplane, the ship will be headed into the wind and its speed will be regulated to conform to the aeroplanes, thus making the length of the runway more than sufficient. The Hamburg-American line is making the test to demonstrate the feasibility of equipping its new liner, the 900-foot steamship Europia, the largest ship in the world now under construction, with a regular aeroplane service for use in transporting mail at sea and other purposes. McCurdy will carry in the test on Saturday a small water proof mail bag containing letters from passengers which he will deliver at the New York post office.

Boston Evening Transcript 1910. — NO TORPEDO BOATS FOR McCurdy — Taft Cancels Order for Vessels to Fallow Flight from Liner at Sea to New York. — Wessington, Nov. 4:— President Taft cancelled the order promulgated by the Navy Department detailing two speedy torpedo boat destroyers to fallow the flight of Aviator McCurdy from the deck of the steamer Kaiserin Auguste Victoria fifty miles at sea to land, because he thought it would be inconsistent with previous refusals to permit such use of naval vessels.

Flight Magazine No. 99. ( No.47. Vol. II.) November 19, 1910. Flying from a Cruiser. FOR some time Mr. McCurdy has been trying to make arrangements to fly on his Curtiss machine from an outgoing steamer back to New York, but so far has not been able to carry out the project. A fellow pilot, however, Mr. Eugene Ely, on Monday made a short experiment in Chesapeake Bay by flying from the deck of the U.S. cruiser “Birmingham, ” and landing on Willoughby Spit. Mr. Ely was forced to land somewhat sooner than he intended, as his propeller was damaged soon after starting owing to its striking the water.

North American Press Despatch (By the Associate Press) 1910:— McCURDY FALLS, BUT IS NOT HURT. — His Machine Turns Over, and Is Badly Damaged. — Mobile, Ala., Nov. 23:— While descending after a flight yesterday afternoon, aviator J.A.D. McCurdy dipped too near the earth, one of the wing tips of his aeroplane striking the ground when going at a height rate of speed and turning the machine over. The crowds rushed to the en of the field in which the accident happen, but found McCurdy walking about, smiling an uninjured. The Aeroplane was badly damaged although it fell but ten or fifteen feet.

J.A.D. McCurdy & Glenn Curtiss US Government Tests flying off a ship, American Press Association Despatch, Dec., 1st-7th 1910,.

J.A.D. McCurdy & Glenn Curtiss US Government Tests flying off a ship, American Press Association Despatch, Dec., 1st-7th 1910,.

North American Press Despatch (By the Associate Press) 1910:— AVIATION MEET CLOSES.— Atlanta, Ga., Dec. 17.— A race between J.A.D. McCurdy, in his 60 horsepower biplane, an Jimmy Ward in a 24-horsepower “Baby” Curtiss, mark the close of the aviation meet here today. Ward won on every point, remaining in the air thirty-six minutes, 11 seconds, an attained a height of 1,000 feet. McCurdy was aloft twenty minutes. Eugene Ely came to grief when, after a flight of nearly a mile, a piece of tubing fell off the plane, splintering the propeller while he was about 100 feet from the ground. The aviator landed without injury.






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s