Aeronautics: The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. July 1911. McCurdy-Willard Partnership. — J.A.D. McCurdy, one of the original members of the Aerial Experiment Association, who at its dissolution, took up exhibition flying for Glenn H. Curtiss for the purpose of securing greater experience on the actual operation of machines, has joined hands with Charles F. Willard, the first man in this country to give exhibitions of flying, and they have formed a company called the McCurdy-Willard Aeroplane Company, at No. 1780 Broadway, New York City. This company will conduct exhibitions for a while on a large scale, making them more in the nature of real meets, and will have associated with them four other aviators of reputation who are now flying exhibitions. C.F. Willard & Co. and the McCurdy Aeroplane Company have also been formed to manufacture aeroplanes from designs of Messrs. Willard and McCurdy. The McCurdy machine will be of the headless biplane type, with a direct connected propeller in the rear. The elevator will be placed just forward of the rudder, and there will be no fixed tail surface. The machine will spread 25% ft. The first machine is promised for the middle of July, and is now being built in the shops of the Queen Aeroplane Company, at Fort George. No ailerons or plane warping will be used for stability, but the ribs will extend back of the rear beams considerably and will be warped. The Willard company will build a biplane designed by Willard of the headless type with two shaft and gear-driven propellers in front. There will be no shoulder control on this, all stability and control movement being obtained by a universally mounted steering post. This machine will be ready July 1. They will be built in two sizes for one and three men, respectively. Both machines will be fitted with Gnome engines.
The Queen Aeroplane Co., of Fort George, New York City, has under construction four biplanes equipped with Gnome motors for the McCurdy-Willard Co. One of these biplanes is to have a 100-h.p. Gnome, and is expected to render an excellent account in the speed contests in the Chicago meet for which it is being especially built.
The Gazette, Montreal, Friday July 28, 1911. — FLIGHTS AT HAMILTON. — McCurdy, Martin and Willard Flew Yesterday. — Hamilton, Ont., July 27:— Hamilton’s first aviation meet opened this evening under the most favourable auspices. The weather was all that could be desired and there was a large crowed. The field chosen was the Ohier Farm, on the Beach road. It is well situate and easily accessible by the Radial cars. Three noted airmen were in attendance, J.A.D. McCurdy, in a McCurdy biplane; J.V. Martin, in a Farman machine, and Charles E. Willard in a Curtiss biplane. The best flying was done by Willard. He seemed to have his machine in splendid control. He made three fine flights of about fifteen minutes’ duration each. He flew over the bay and as far east as the filter basins. McCurdy was trying out a new machine and seemed to have trouble with the propeller and it was not until late in the evening that he made a flight. This was highly successful, an he went as far as Dynes and back. Mr. McCurdy promise to be in better shape later in the meet. He expects great things of his new machine by the time the Toronto meet opens. J.V. Martin, the English flyer, also have little trouble at first, but managed to make a very successful flight later in the evening.
The Gazette, Montreal, Aug 7, 1911. — TORONTO AVIATION MEET. — Collapsed Suddenly After Three Day’s Racing. — Toronto, August 5:— The Toronto aviation meet collapsed suddenly to-day, after three days’ duration of the six scheduled. E.M. Wilcox, the local manager of the meet, lays the blame upon J.A.D. McCurdy and Charles F. Willard, the two aviators who were the chief performers at the meet, who, without notification to Mr. Willcox, packed up their machines and prepared to depart from Toronto to-day. They explained that as they ha agreed to have four machines at the meet and were able to furnish only one (McCurdy having smashed one machine and being unable to get his other in condition), they had concluded to leave.
Aeronautics: The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. IX, No. 2., August, 1911: — THE WILLARD HEADLESS BIPLANE. — C.E. WILLARD has completed the construction of a biplane with the propeller in front, and all steering surfaces in the rear. This will be taken to Canada, where future work will be conducted. His partner in the McCurdy-Willard Aeroplane Co., J. A. D. McCurdy, is also having machines built to his design in New York City. Whatever machines are marketed by Messrs. Willard and McCurdy will be as individuals, while the McCurdy-Willard Aeroplane Co. will confine itself solely to exhibitions. Results of flights will be watched with interest, as but one or two biplanes, like the Breguet and the Roe., have ever successfully flown with the propeller in front, and none but these has ever made any big name for itself. This may not be due to the placing of the propeller alone, but to defects in the design. The principle is theoretically less efficient, particularly with a biplane, than the placing of the propeller in the rear of the main planes. Following is a description of Mr. Willard’s novel machine:
- Main Planes. These are each in five demountable sections, the lateral beams being joined by steel plates, top and bottom of beams, and bolted through. The main beams have three laminations, spruce and ash. The guy wires are Roebling flexible cable. 7/64 and 3/32 in., and are tightened by turnbuckles, each with a locking device to keep the wire from loosening up through vibration. The struts are fish shaped, solid spruce, and fit in steel tube sockets. On the end of the strut is a brass ferrule to keep the strut from swelling in the socket. Continental cloth is used both sides and tacked on with copper tacks.
- Body. A novelty has been introduced in the construction of the rear half of the machine. Instead of outriggers, as usual with biplanes, a triangular body is employed, made of bamboo entirely, even to the diagonal braces, with the base of the triangle at the top. At the rear end is the elevator and rudder. The manner of attachment of the diagonal bamboos to the main members is by steel tubing. This fuselage is divided in two sections, midway the length, the after one being capable of being slipped inside the forward one for purposes of shipment. The fuselage will be entirely enclosed with fabric.
- Running Gear. A central skid is used in combination with four wheels. The two center, 20 in. by 3 in. wheels, support the machine and are flexibly mounted with Goodyear rubber springs in the usual manner. Fore and aft respectively is a 16-in. wheel, which normally is 2 in. off the ground. In landing, the two center wheels take the first shock, letting the machine down easily on the remaining ones. The skid does not come in contact with the ground at all.
- Power Plant. Not settled upon. Two Gnomes are already owned by him and it is possible he will take delivery of a couple of rotary Indians, on which he has a call. The placing of the gasoline tank depends on what engine is used. A 6-cylinder Anzani is also a prospect. In any case, a shield will be built up at the rear of the motor to protect the operator from oil, which the Gnomes particularly have a habit of throwing in one’s face without any discretion whatever. The spark advance and throttle are located on the steering post and are controlled by Bowden wire, with copper tubing wherever there are bends.
- Stability. Ailerons are used, fastened with ordinary brass hinges to the rear beams, but are positively operated in both up and down directions in such a manner as to give equal resistance on both sides of the machine to avoid any turning tendency from the operation of the ailerons.
- Controls. All steering and operating of ailerons are by one steering post and wheel, universally mounted. Pushing forward steers down, and vice versa. Turning the wheel steers right or left, while swinging the whole affair to left or right operates the ailerons…………………….
BEACHEY’S FLIGHT OVER NIAGARA. — For spectacular daring accomplished flying, no one has “anything on” Lincoln Beachey. His flight of June 27 back and forth over the Niagara River and down the Gorge will be remembered for some time. Beachey was the principal feature of an international carnival under the auspices of the twin cities Niagara Falls, N. Y., and Niagara Falls, Can. The start of his flight was from a baseball park on the American side of the river. From here he circled round and flew across the Niagara River and Goat Island and back of the Horseshoe Falls to the Canadian side. Without stopping he turned in below the Falls at the beginning of the Gorge and flew along its course and over the big steel bridge. Then he turned again and flew back up the Canadian side nearly to the Falls. At this joint he repeated his flight down the Gorge but made it more sensational. Dropping close to the boiling Rapids, he shot along, this time passing under the central arch of the bridge. On previous days he had made a series of spectacular flights over the Niagara River in the wind and rain with his Curtiss machine which he now flies without a front elevator. Just a few days before, Beachey. McCurdy and Wittmer gave an exhibition at tlie famous Fort Erie race track, across the lake from Buffalo. Here a number of sensational flights were made by all three and on one day, in a stiff wind. Beachey flew across the river and over the business district of Buffalo……..
NEW McCURDY MACHINE. — The new McCurdy aeroplane has started on the road) before anyone had a chance to see it. It was taken to Nassau for one short hop to try the balance and shipped to Hamilton, Ont., where an exhibition is to be given. From here it goes to Toronto and on to Chicago for the meet. H. F. Kearney is making flights at Creve Coeur and is to try out pontoons on his biplane. Several other novices are about to move over from Kinloch, as the former is a more favored flying ground.
THE CHICAGO MEET. — The strictly competitive Chicago meet, under the auspices of the Aero Club of Illinois, will start Aug. 12 and last 10 days. Forty-nine different events are scheduled in order that the $80,000 in prizes may be earned. The totalization of duration prize alone is $10,000, while daily prizes of $1,000 for the same feat are offered. For the first time no guarantees are paid to insure attendance of certain aviators. All are free to enter or stay away, and every dollar won will be earned through flights. Garros, who has been flying in the wonderful cross-country races, and Andemars, who flies three different machines, are expected back the Moisant company to take part with Simon. Barrier, Frisbie, Raygorodsky and another “dark horse” in the meet. The Curtiss company will be represented by several flyers. Sopwith, Beatty, James V. Martin, Ladis Lewkowiez and Ovington are expected. Chicago itself has a number of novice flyers who will not make the affair any less interesting. The Wright company may also enter a full complement of machines if the prizes they are certain of winning total as much as may be earned elsewhere in the same period. Charles F. Walsh is coming from the Coast, and Willard and McCurdy will be on hand with their two new machines.
NEW COMPANIES. — The Pioneer Aeroplane and Exhibition Co. has been incorporated in St. Louis for $12,000 and has secured Andrew Drew, formerly manager of the Kinloen and Creve Coeur aviation fields, as aviator. He is now at Dayton, Ohio, taking lessons on a Wright aeroplane which has been purchased by the company. A school will be conducted at one of the two St. Louis fields.
- Sharp Aeroplane Co., Cleveland, O., .$10,000. Tames G. Reyant, K. C. Morris, Amiel Radtke, John Sharp and Hattie Sharp.
- Tacoma Aeroplane Mfg. Co., Tacoma, Wash., $50,000. G. W. Stoomer, W. F. Longmire and J. A. Anderson.
- Wildwood Aeroplane Co., Wildwood, N.J.A. Bowman and T. S. Goslin.
- U. S. Aerial Navigation Co., So. Dakota, $225,000.
- Washington Aeronautic Co.. Seattle, Wash., $50,000. Jos. A. Kelly, A. B. Roberts.
- Western Aviation Co., San Francisco, Cal., $10, 000. H. E. Ruggles, F. J. Crisp and James Leach.
- Utah Aviation Association, $25,000, Salt Lake City. J. A. Kaufman. W. E. Palmer, E. M. Cooper, Peter Clegg, William R. Smith, William S. Marks, William Soelburg and Philip Aljets.
- The Bridgeport Aeronautical Co., Portland, $100,000. C. E. Eaton, T. L. Croteau.
- Chicago Aeroplane Mfg. Co., of Chicago, $100, 000.
- McCurdy Aeroplane Co., J. A. D. McCurdy, $5,000, 1780 Broadway, New York.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS.
- August 2-4.—Colorado Springs, Col., Wright exhibition.
- August 6-20.—Belgian Circuit race.
- August 12-20.—Grant Park, Chicago, International Meet.
- August 20-September 9. — Astoria, Ore., Curtiss aviators.
- August 26-September 4.— Montreal, McCurdy, Willard and Curtiss Flyers.
Flight Magazine No. 137. (No. 32. Vol. III) August 12 1911. Aerial Racing in Canada. STARTING from Hamilton, Mr. McCurdy and Mr. Willard have both flown to Toronto, a distance of about 50 miles. The former rose to a height of 3,000 feet, and flying across Lake Ontario completed the distance in 32 minutes, but Mr. Willard, who flew overland and at a height of only 500 feet, took 45 minutes, being delayed by the gusty nature of the wind.
Aeronautics: The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. IX, No. 3. Sept., 1911: — NEW McCURDY AEROPLANE. — J.A.D. McCurdy, is back from Chicago with a new machine illustrated herewith: A detailed description of this will shortly appear in AERONAUTICS. Its speed is over 51 miles an hour on a circular course. This is the same type of machine that Mr. McCurdy used in the Chicago meet, one of which was burned when it came in contact with a live wire and was built to Mr. McCurdy’s design by the Queen Aeroplane Co. Dock Wildman, one of the new finds of the McCurdy-Willard Company, gives promise of becoming one of America’s foremost aviators. His performance at Nassau Boulevard recently, in the rain, with this new machine was nothing short of marvellous. J.A.D. McCurdy and Dock Wildman have entered two of these machines in the Louisville Aero Derby.
Aeronautics: The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. IX, No. 3. Sept., 1911: —The Chicago Aviation Meet Aug 12 – 20, 1911, at the Chicago Aviation Field on the edge of Lake Michigan:— TWO men lost their lives, 3 new world records were made, 300,000 people were present and aviators received $101,114.87 at Chicago, Aug. 12-20, the second big meet which has been held in this country; one which outshone the other at Belmont last fall. The Wright Company won $16,029 and received royalties of $100 a day from Rodgers, Beatty, Sopwith, Brindley and Drew, independent Wright fivers. Curtiss” men got $27,291, Moisant $8,143. The largest single winner was Sopwith who drew down from the paying teller $14,020, while the smallest was poor Lewkowiez who, with his Queen Monoplane, won 60 cents in a flight of 18 seconds, plus 250 expenses for having his machine on the grounds. The expenses of the meet were approximately $195,000 and the total receipts were $142,901 leaving a deficit of over $50,000 for the promoters to face.
The Chicago Club produced one of the world’s best exhibitions of flight without drawing in the least upon foreign talent. Every contestant, except Mestach, was already either an American or one who had been in the country, flying, for the past few months. There were no accidents to aviators be-yond the two fatal ones, but many accidents to machines occurred and an auto truck was kept fairly busy carting machines to sheds, minus wheels, or skids, parts of wings, etc.
The Aero Club of Illinois is the first club in the world to conduct a meet on a purely sporting basis, in the same manner, practically, as horse-racing is carried on. Entrants, except the big exhibition companies, had to put up a $1,000 bond to insure the attendance. When their machines arrived each received $250 in cash and another $250 after a flight of 5 minutes had been made. The exhibition companies had to take their chances on winning enough to make their entries pay. How well they succeeded is shown by the figures. In the case of the Wright aviators, the policy of no-Sunday flying lost for them considerable of the total duration money. The independent flyers of Wright machines, Beatty, Rodgers and Brindley ran their duration up to top-notch figures, Rodgers within four hours of the greatest possible obtainable. A year ago such a meeting would have been impossible, for guarantees were demanded by all aviators and none had the stamina before to start purely sporting events……………..
The turbulent air currents came down from over the roofs of the skyscrapers lining one side of the field and blew down on the aeroplanes as they tried to rise. The nine Curtiss machines went through the meet without accidents other than the smashing of propellers, due to carelessness. Beachey and Ely flew on one day when the other machines could not get off the ground and demonstrated that they could fight out any wind……….
The Curtiss hydro-aeroplane, a special feature, attracted a deal of attention flying above the boats on the lake, over the grounds, and back to the lake again. Robinson flew out to the Johnstone machine when it fell in the water and was ready to assist in the rescue work. The use of this craft for rescue work was demonstrated effectively. Robinson could get to the scene at a rate of a mile a minute and could always land within but a few feet of the desired spot.
The new McCurdy machine hit a live wire and burnt up. On August 7, papers were served upon officers of the International Aviation Meet Association, in a suit brought by the Wright Company, which alleges that the machines competing are infringements of the Wright patent. A share of the profits and damages are asked. Each aviator was allowed “expenses” of $500 after he had flown for 5 minutes. Two dollars was paid for every 60 seconds an aviator was in the air, in addition to all prize money won in contests provided that the sum thus earned exceeded his prize winnings alone, in which case he was given the difference between the prize winnings and the total at the $2 a minute rate. Where no prizes were won the $2 a minute rate was applied.
The totalization of duration prize originally was $10,000 but as the unearned prizes amounted to $6,000, this amount was added to the original $10,000, divided according to the ratio of the division of the first amount. These figures give the money received, whether as prizes, at $2 a minute, both, and the expense money allowed. Four days before the meet opened, Rene Barrier (Moisant) made one evening flight high above the field and over the lake but this was his only one as his doctor forbade him to fly. The meet closed officially on the 20th but on the following day a benefit performance was given by all the aviators for the widow of St. Croix Johnstone.
Correct List, Contestants and Results: — McCurdy, J. A. D., (McCurdy, 50 Gnome), total time 2:55:55 money received $2,400.00.
Aeronautics: — The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol., No. 6 December, 1911: — One Patent Just Issued. — A United States’ patent, 1,11,106, was issued on December 5, 1911, to Alexander Graham Bell, F. W. Baldwin, J. A. D. McCurdy, Glenn H. Curtiss and Edward A. Selfridge, administrator of Lieut. Thos. E. Selfridge, deceased; all assignors to Charles J. Bell, trustee, of Washington, D. C. The application was filed April 8, 1909. The patent aims at the maintaining or restoration of lateral balance of machine having rigid supporting surfaces by means distinct from the supporting surfaces themselves. The patent claims that heretofore supporting surfaces have been made flexible for the purpose of warping the extremities to preserve balance, which warping imparts a turning movement which must be corrected by a vertical rudder. The main claims of this patent cover the combination of supporting surfaces having a positive angle of incidence with a pair of lateral balancing rudders, or ailerons, which are adjusted to equal and opposite positive and negative angles of incidence, normally at zero angle, connections to a controlling device which embraces the body and is operated by the movements of the aviator. There are twenty-eight claims covering the placing of the ailerons outside the lateral margins of the supporting surfaces, in combination with multiple surfaces and other modification of the principal features. The patentees are those who, in 1908-1909, comprised the Aerial Experiment Association, which was formed to build aeroplanes for experimental purposes. After building four machines. Red Wing, White Wing, June Bug and Silver Dart, all of which flew, the Association was dissolved, after a year’s time. It was financed by Mrs. Bell and was formed at her suggestion at a time when all these men happened to be together on some experimental work of Dr. Bell’s at his Nova Scotia home. It is of interest to note that the Wright patent describes a cradle which was used to warp the wings of the Wright gliders. This embraced the body of the aviator and the body movements warped the wings.
Aeronautics: — The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol., April 1912. — BELL’S TETRAHEDRAL FLIES. — Dr. A. Graham Bell has now the satisfaction of proving his statements in regard to his tetrahedral kite “Cygnet” III and of “showing” the skeptics. J.A.D. McCurdy made a number of straightaway flights with it over the ice of Lake Bras d’Or, in Nova Scotia, on March 1st to 17th. The kite consists of 360 cells and weighs 540lbs., with 70 h.p. Gnome engine, without operator. It flew at about 43 miles an hour with an 8 by 8 foot propeller turning 1200, giving a thrust on the ground of 500 lbs. Another trial was made of adding 262 cells, which, however, did not make it fly so well. The kite spreads 8 m. at the top and 6 m. at the bottom. The kite is triangular in fore and aft cross-section by 2 m. fore and aft. Mr. McCurdy’s weight is 160 lbs.
Aeronautics: — The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol., May-June 1912. — DEALERS DINE DURING SHOW. — More than thirty manufacturers, dealers and investors in aeronautics dined as guests of the Aeronautical Manufacturers Association at the Cafe des Beaux Arts on May 16th. After a toast was proposed to the welfare of the Association by Alfred W. Lawson, and the diners had dined, an evening, long to be remembered by those present, was made memorable by the speakers. J.A.D. McCurdy spoke on the subject of obtaining public support of aviation, means for interesting the possible purchasers, and the duty of the makers and dealers to the public through an organization. His talk led to the hydroaeroplane, on which Greely S. Curtis addressed the members. Mr. Curtis told of the use of the water machine in ways analogous to that of the motor boat, with the added advantage of flying. He spoke of the work at Marbiehead and the many and varied practical uses to which their aquatic machines had been put. The work of Sir Hiram Maxim was brought home by first hand information from E. W. Roberts, who was employed with Maxim during his experiments. Charles E. Spratt, vice president of the operating company of the Palace, made one feel greater responsibility in future work and made plain to all the advantages of a trade body, advantages to its members and to the public, and the value of co-operation. At the conclusion of his speech he was presented with a bouquet of roses by John B. Maus who expressed in behalf of the exhibitors their good feeling and well wishes. Morris R. Machol spoke briefly on the characteristics of magnalium and Hugo C. Gibson also spoke. The present consideration by Congress of a large aeronautical appropriation was spoken of by Mr. Curtis who dwelt on the need of aid from Government orders and a committee consisting of John B. Maus, Greely S. Curtis, Noble Foss and E. W. Roberts was named to prepare a resolution embodying the desire of all interested for such appropriation and suggesting the benefits to be derived there from, such resolution to be brought to the attention of Congress in the proper manner. Among those present were: Greely S. Curtis, of Burgess Co. & Curtis; Jerome S. Fanciulli, of the Curtis company; J. A. D. McCurdy, Aeroplane Motor & Equipment Co.; John E. Sloane, Sloane Aeroplane Co.; Spencer Heath, American Propeller Co.: Noble Foss, B. F. Sturtevant Co.; Harold N. Bliss, B. F. Sturtevant Mfg Co.; R. S. Moore, Gyro Motor Co.; W. T. Thomas, Thomas Brothers; M. Mead, Mead Engine Co. ; Hugo C. Gibson, Gibson Propeller Co.; John B. Mau&, Goodyear; Max Dingfelder, Maximotor Makers: Max Ams, Max Ams Machine Co.; G. C. Loening, Queen Aeroplane Co.; H. L. F. Trebert, Trebert motors; Charles D. Spence, Jr., White Aeroplane Co.; Alpheus S. Barnes, “Wright Co.; Captain T. S. Baldwin. Charles E. Spratt, Morris R. Machol. Leroy McCafferty, the aeronautical magazine publishers and others.
Aeronautics: — The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion, April 1913.— At its first meeting of the new re-organization the Kirkham Aeroplane & Motor Company, a progressive program was adopted, which will prove interesting and valuable for a motor purchaser. Edwin H. Skinner, who conducted the Rex Monoplane Co., has joined hands with Mr. Kirkham. Mr. Kirkham’s experience with motors for aviation purposes dates back to 1903, when, as the manufacturer of the motors used on the Curtiss motorcycle, several motors of one and two cylinders and one 4-cylinder, were made for various parties, one of these being for a dirigible known as the “Montana Butterfly.” Since that time several motors have been sold for aviation experiments, one of which was purchased by J.A.D. McCurdy to put into the “Silver Dart,” one of the machines built by the Aerial Experiment Association. The “Silver Dart” being Mr. McCurdy’s production. With this motor flights up to twenty minutes duration were made in 1909. Later this motor was installed in the “Baddeck II,” a bi-plane of 53 feet spread. This machine made several successful flights, one being 45 minutes duration. In a number of flights a passenger was carried. In August, 1910, a duplicate of this motor was sold to Tod Schriver, who at once became famous for his quick rise as a flyer. One of his early flights being of 51 minutes duration by moonlight, made at Mineola in September, 1910, which is believed is still the record for night flight. In 1911 and 1912 numerous motors were sold to pleased buyers. The company announce that it will put on the market for 1913 a 4-cylinder 45 H.P., a 6-cylinder 65 H.P., a 6-cylinder 65 H.P. gear drive and an 8-cylinder 110 H. P. These motors are conservatively rated and will develop at brake test at least an excess of S.H.P.
Aeronautics: — The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion, Nov., 1913.— THE FLYING BOAT AS A DEPENDABLE VEHICLE. — Raymond V. Morris, who acted during the summer and fall as pilot for Gerald Hanley of Providence, has kept a daily record of his season’s flying with the Curtiss boat. His book shows a total of more than no flying hours, approximately 6,000 miles, with but one overhauling. Broke one rod. C.C. Witmer, in charge of Harold F. Mc-Cormick’s flying boat, has flown approximately 5,000 miles, with one overhauling of the motor. No breakage. L.A. Vilas kept a partial record of his summer’s flying from June to October, and he estimates that he flew more than 3,500 miles. So far he has not had occasion to drop the lower half of the crankcase. The motor has not been overhauled since it left the factory. No breakage. J.A.D. McCurdy, in charge of George von Utassy’s flying boat, flew every fair day from mid-July to mid-October. Estimated mileage 5,000. Broke one bearing can.
Aeronautics: — The American Magazine of Aerial Locomotion Vol. XVI. No.7. June 15, 1915. — CURTISS PLANT RUSHED. — “Tony” Janney is now associated with the Curtiss Aeroplanes & Motors, Ltd., in Toronto, Can., in the construction and operation of. various machines which they are building for various governments. It is impossible to give any details as to their construction, horsepower or requirements. To this point the various governments have especially asked the manufacturers to pay strict attention. The largest training school, both land and water, which has ever existed on this continent is in operation. There are now thirty-eight students enrolled to date, all of whom have been passed and accepted by the British Admiralty or the British Army through their representatives at Ottawa. There is a waiting list of approximately six or seven hundred. J.A.D. McCurdy is managing director of the Curtiss Aeroplanes & Motors, Ltd.